“SNL” America gets criticized of discrimination In a parody of “Squid Game”
In this article we will share to you the latest news about SNL America that just get a sharp criticized of discrimination and racism for their parody of “Squid Game”.
Squid game definitely a global phenomena since it’s just rise to the top becoming the hottest movie on netflix in 40 countries where netflix is available and become top 10 Netflix show globally.
Unfortunately, in a turn of events, SNL America created a parody of Squid Game korean drama and it was just a total offense for koreans. Many koreans called it racist and very discriminatory parody.
Parody of Squid Game
In the original squid game korean drama, the sum was ₩45.6 billion KRW (about $38.6 million USD). In the parody, one of the contestants decides to look up the prize money for conversion, but the sum of money was only 4 billion KRW.
Furthermore, not just they chose a lesser sum of money for the parody, they also provided a really inaccurate conversion of 4 billion KRW into a $47.89 USD. This is a total insult for many korean people as the true conversion will be $3.38 million USD.
Many Koreans felt this is a direct offense for them, as it would give a bad image of Korean currency and enforce American superiority.
- “F**k that’s just long-standing discrimination by treating us like a lesser country.”
- “22 I thought this was discrimination too…”
- “222 I don’t know why they included that.. it’s not even real conversion rates.”
- “33 What the fuck is this?”
- “4444 Are they crazy? Our currency and USD doesn’t have much difference anyway.”
- “444 No fuck what is this.”
- “Are they joking.”
- “Did our country suddenly have some large inflation I didn’t know about? They don’t want to get rid of their discrimination but they want to ride on our popularity, it’s so obvious. I’ll give you $48 so give me that money.”
- “[reply to previous comment] I acknowledge this is slander. Fans overseas were also upset.”
- “They’re so dumb so…”
- “Are they kidding?? I’m so upset. Such ignorant people.”
- “This got blown up cuz people overseas that watched this were saying it’s a pity and all that. That speaks for itself already.”
Many Korean were totally pissed off and felt deeply upset at the comedy they put in this parody. However, On the other hand, Americans defended it as just part of a comedy, not meant to insult or offense anybody.