Bookstore in Korea: Library and Bookstores in Seoul Local’s Love!
Are you a book-lover looking for the best bookstore in Korea and Seoul? Look no further! In this article, I will share to you the 7 most popular bookstore in Korea and Seoul. Each one of these bookstore aren’t just offers you a perfect insta worthy experience but also reading experience. Keep reading to find out more about these delightful bookstores and why you must visit them as you travel Korea!
Table of Contents
Bookstore in Korea
Bookstores is one of the most visited place in Korea both by locals as well as foreign traveler. As we know, Korean people love to study and they need to, in order to get good score in their major study and get a good job. That’s why many local korean student go to bookstores every day especially during exam season.
Korean study culture is really competitive to one another and even among the job seekers, the competition are insane. That’s why the government try to accomodate this needs by creating a really good bookstores for people to be able to access and study in the most comfortable way.
When we talk about bookstore in korea, it is not just a place for korean and nerd to get some new knowledge and information about their major study, but also a place where they can take a good picture and enjoy some coffee.
Bookstore in Seoul
Here are the list of the most famous bookstore in Seoul, the capital of South Korea that you can visit during your travel. Make sure to visit one of this favourite bookstore in Seoul and take a good shot with your loved ones as you visit.
1. Seoul Book Bogo - Most Instagrammable Bookstore in Korea
Seoul Treasure Den for Books, as known as Seoul Book Bogo is operated by Seoul Metropolitan library. This is actually a new complex culture space that consist of tons of secondhand books. This bookstore was once an empty warehouse that was magically turned into one of the best and must visit bookstore in seoul.
This most instagrammable bookstore in Korea have four mission in which to delivers value, sharing, enjoyment and experience for the visitors. Hotel Del Luna used this area for their filming location, just to let you know in case you are a k-drama lovers.
Seoul Book Bogo (Most Instagrammable Bookstore in Seoul)
- Location: 1, Ogeum-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Opening Hours: 11:00 am – 20:00 pm, weekdays/ 10:00 am – 20:00 pm, weekends
- Closed Days: Monday, New Year’s Day, Lunar New Year, Chuseok
2. Book Park (북 파크)
Book Park is one of the most famous bookstores in korea located on the 2nd and the 3rd floor of Blue Square in Yongsan. Blue Square is a culture complex built by the Interpark Group to help advance the performing arts.
This clean and neat bookstore in seoul is a combination of bookstore, cafe, and an art gallery. Since it has a ton of seats and tables, it’s actually one of the better spots on this list if you want actually do a little studying or work while still be able to enjoy the atmosphere.
In addition to that, blue square is well known as the largest performing art hall in seoul as well as South Korea country, it’s a cultural complex that has a musical theater, concert hall, grand theathers and Book Park. As you see that book park is a really good place to just enjoy reading a good books.
- Location: Seoul, Yongsan-gu, Hannam-dong, Itaewon-ro, 294 2F & 3F
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 22:00 (Closed on Mondays)
- Closed Days: Lunar New Year, Chuseok
3. Bandi and Luni's (반디앤루니스)
Bandi and Luni’s bookstores is actually a franchise bookstores in korea that is located at Seoul Express Bus Terminal, part of Shinsegae Shopping Mall. Bandi and Luni’s bookstores having 2 sections in which one of them ar bookstore and the other sections is much more about office and school supplies that you can buy if you needed one.
Location: 227-7 Jayang 3(sam)-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Opening Hours: 9:30AM–10PM
Website: Bandi and luni’s
4. Coex Starfield Library - Most Famous Bookstore in Korea
Coex Mall Starfield library is obviously one of the most famous bookstores in korea. I believe you already saw this either in drama or in many pictures of Seoul must-visit areas. This bookstores is located in the middle of COEX mall, and is great place for you if you love the complete bookstores. Starfield library contains more than 50,000 books in a wide selections of category such as humanities, economics and hobbies.
Other than that, there are special sections of 400+ magazines from famous writers. This bookstores is quiet hi-tech as you can also read the e-books by ipad if you don’t like physical books. You can enjoy reading the book you want while enjoying a cup of delicious coffee while taking some pictures to safe the moment.
COEX Starfield Library
- Location: 955-9 Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours: 10:30 – 22:00, every day
5. Kyobo Bookstore - Largest Chain Bookstore in Korea
Kyobo Bookstore is the largest franchise bookstore chain in South Korea. This bookstore is actually became one of a must-visit bookstore to many travelers all over the world. This bookstore chain has about 10 store in 7 different cities in south korea. However, visitors usually must pay to enter the flagship main store in Gwanghwamun in Seoul.
This bookstores in seoul are quiet hi-tech as you can find whatever books you are looking for just through the electonic system. So you won’t waste your time to find the books you want to read.
Other than that, there’s also a stationery store where you can easily find many useful little items as well as cute one and music store. The good things for foreigner who wants to visit this bookstores in korea is that there’s a foreign book corner with a lot of books written in many different languages just for foreigners to enjoy.
Kyobo Bookstore – Largest Chain Bookstore in Korea
- Location: 1, Jong-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours: 09:30 – 22:00
- Closed Days: Lunar New Year, Chuseok
6. Arc.n.Book - Most Aesthetic Bookstore in Korea
Arc N book is one of the most famous bookstore in korea you can find in our capital city Seoul. This bookstore is an open space public library where you can freely enjoy the wonderful atmostphere while enjoy reading thousands of books it offers.
If you can’t read hangul or understand korean language, this bookstore has hundreds of magazines written in english as well as CD albums, souvenirs and other things you might be interested in, while enjoying your coffees in the coffee shop inside this bookstore.
You can find all kinds of books genres for free, from humanity, economics and even hobbies, Arcnbook got you covered. Inside this bookstore, you will find four separated theme sections : Daily, Weekend, Style and inspiration where you can easily find the books you need based on your moods.
In addition to all amazing the features and the book it offers, Arc N Book is famous among foreign traveler due to it’s vintage looks and creative ‘Book Tunnel’ Display areas where many people take a shot and share it on their social media account. FYI, The books in this book tunnel is the best seller books.
Arc N Book – Most aesthetic bookstore in Seoul
- Location:Hyundai Department Store 12F, 13 Yeonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours:10:00 – 22:00
Open all year round
7. Young Poong Books (영풍 문고)
Young Poong Books, as known as YP Books is a bookstore chain in south korea similar to America’s barnes and noble bookstore chain in the united states. You can find this bookstore easily as you travel major city like Seoul and Busan.
You can visit YP Books together with Starfield library as it’s located exactly at the same location, inside COEX Mall in gangnam areas. However, if you want to visit their largest branch, you can find it in Gwanghwamun areas. YP Books has a lot more english written books compare to another bookstore in Seoul we mentioned here, so you can enjoy spent long hour reading your favourite books.
In addition to having a lot of english books, they also offer limitless option of stationery items, home decor, gifts and arts supplies.
Young Poong Books
- Location: 41 Cheonggyecheon-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Opening Hours: 09:30 – 22:00
8. Cheongun Literature Library
Cheongun Literature library is one of the best library in korea you can visit, because it combine the traditional hanok interior design into their library, which makes you can still feel the vintage vibes inside this library. This library is located near Inwangsan, so you can enjoy the landscape of Seoul as you visit this library.
Cheongun Literature Library
- Location: 40 Jahamun-ro 36-gil, Cheongunhyoja-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Opening Hours: 10.00 – 22.00
9. Naver Library
Naver is the largest search engine in south korea, you can say it is the google of korea. In korea, you don’t say ‘google it’, but ‘naver it’. Naver library is located inside the office building in Seongnam, Gyeonggi-do.
You can enjoy the quiet and soft atmosphere of the library. You can enjoy some coffee and take a good picture as you read some good books here. You can see the design is really green and filled with wood warm vibes. Do note that you need some sort of identity card or passport to enter this library.
- Location: NAVER Green Factory, 6, Buljeong-ro, Jeongja-dong, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
- Opening Hours:
Weekdays: 09.00 – 21.00
Weekends: 09.00 – 17.00
Closed on national holiday
Tips Before Go To Bookstore in Korea
Here are some tips I can share if you decide to put some of the bookstore mentioned above to your travel list as you travel Seoul.
- Learn some korean words related to books and bookstore in Korean language will help you in asking guidance as you visit any bookstore in seoul.
- Don’t worry if you can’t understand Korean language because bookstore in Korea also offers english writing books for foreigner.
- If you don’t know how to ask for guidance in Korean language regarding the book you want to read or how to go to your chosen bookstore, you can install Naver maps and Naver translation.
- The price of the books in bookstore in Korea relatively the same as US and Asian ‘import’ books standard.
- Before you decide to buy any book as you visit any bookstore in Korea, you can get the preview online of the book you want using their free wifi.
Basic Words Related To Bookstores in Korean
Credit to: The Korea Times
Before you visit bookstore in Seoul, you want to learn some related phrase and words about books and bookstore. This will help you to ask for guidance in case you need some help as you arrived to your bookstore destination.
Best Bookstore in Korea and Seoul
Korea has no shortage of great place to visit, including amazing bookstores to visit during your travel in korea. With its vast selection of books and wonderful insta worthy design, each of this library and bookstore in Korea will surely bring a unique experience for you, whether you are an avid readers or just looking a good insta worthy spot in korea.
If you have a free time and need a place to get some new information and knowledge in Korea, don’t hesitate to stop by one of these amazing bookstores. You won’t regret it! Which one of these bookstore in korea do you plan to visit? Or have you visited one of them? Let us know in the comments sections below!
Check out our another article:
- Top 8 Unforgettable And Best Night Club in Seoul!
- Top 14 Foreigner Friendly English Speaking Hair Salons In Seoul!
- Top 20 Best Attractions and Things To Do in Yeosu!
- Top 5 Spring Flowers You Can Find In Jeju Island!
- 8 Best Canola (Rapeseed) Flowers Spot in Jeju Island!
- 11 Best Cherry Blossom Spot In Daegu!
- 21 Magical Places To See Cherry Blossoms in Korea 2022 [FULL GUIDE]